A blog about having a child with PHPV or PFVS

A blog about having a child with PHPV or PFVS

Persistent Hyperplastic Primary Vitreous

also known as

Persistent Fetal Vasculature Syndrome

and micropthalmia (small eye)

Our experiences with 3 surgeries, 2 EUA's, patching, contact lenses, scleral shells, prosthetic eyes, emotions, places to get support, links to other sites and general info on vision impairment. I really hope my blog helps and educates and I would love to hear from you with any questions you have, or even if you just need to talk to someone who has "been there, done that".


Perth, Western Australia

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Post surgery recovery

We stayed in recovery for a few hours then drove home. I stayed with Joel while Rich went to get Annalise from her Nanny's house. When Annalise saw Joel, she said "Oh Joel. You have a sore eye" and kissed him. It was so sweet. She has been so good with everything. I sometimes think about how unfair it is on her. True, when the second baby comes along your attention is divided but with Joel needing so much more time than a "normal" baby, she does miss out. She also has to see and hear Joel when we are trying to put his lens in and misses out on mummy for 2 hours a day while Joel is patched. She is such a good kid.

The day after surgery we went back to the hospital to see Dr Lam and the Registrar, Josh. They said that the surgery went well and took his patch off to have a look at his eye. I couldn't believe how good his eye looked. The cataract was gone so we could see the beautiful blue colour of his iris. We could see blood through the colour though, which is normal after surgery but it still freaked me out a bit. The surgeons told us that they had a good look at Joel's right (good) eye during surgery and that there was absolutely nothing wrong with that eye. This was a huge relief. We were able to leave his patch off and just had to put drops into his eye every hour for 2 weeks to stave off infection and keep the swelling down.

We went back home and I just layed down on the bed and prayed over my baby. I prayed for ages. I cried and spoke and asked God to heal Joel, to give him his vision and make his recovery fast and asked God to not let Joel develop glaucoma. Just give him the best possible chance to recover, to have vision and to stay healthy.

3 days later we went back to the hospital for another check up. We were told we'd have to go back twice a week for a month. Josh looked at Joel's eye and said the bleeding was lessening and his eye looked really great and that he didn't need to see us for another 2 weeks. I thanked God the whole way home :-)

After a week, photos of Joel show that it didn't even look like he'd had surgery. It was truly an amazing recovery.

1 comment: